Looking after your teeth when you have a busy life due to work or family, can sometimes be challenging. It’s very easy to rush though the act of tooth brushing, or even skip it altogether, grab energy drinks or snack in place of lunch when you are on the go.
An article recently published by the British Dental Health Foundation highlights the fact that
“Our teeth are at risk of acid attack after we eat and drink anything, especially if what we consume has sugar in it.
This acid is produced by plaque bacteria, and the sugars in our food and drink, which slowly dissolves the enamel and dentine of the tooth leading to cavities forming.
But new evidence has shown that incorporating sugar-free gum into our on the go lifestyles can benefit our oral health. Although not a replacement for brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, chewing after eating or drinking can help our teeth recover quicker and keep our mouths healthy.”
Benefits Of Sugar Free Gum
Independent research has shown that chewing sugar free gum after eating and drinking has the following effects:
1. It increases the production of saliva.
2. This increased saliva flow helps the neutralisation of plaque acids.
3. Which in turn helps to maintain tooth mineralisation(hardening).
4. And helps reduce oral dryness.
Dapo’s Tips For Looking After Your Teeth When You Have A Busy Life
1. Mindfulness : This simply means being present! When brushing your teeth, put all your attention into doing a great job. pay attention to where you are cleaning of it. It’s only 2 minutes, but what a difference that makes over a lifetime!
2. Carry a bottle of water around with you and take a sip after every meal. This helps to wash away any lingering food debris and reduce the acidity of your mouth.
3. Avoid or minimise snacking between meals.
4. Chew sugar free gum after meals.